• Wednesday, March 15, 2006

    Vibe.

    Downtown I went to the vibrator store. I was imagining this kind of folksy interaction with cool salesgirls "Oh look everyone, she's buying her first vibe! Awwww." It was not like that. It was a big store and basically a wall of plastic boxes of vibrators. Not even good packaging. Just, well, the aesthetic was all wrong. Where were the bi-curious punkettes and the other repressed housewives kvetching over lattes? The counter girl was a black girl in a bright orange iZod - so not punk! She said "I'm going to put a battery in to make sure it works because it's non-returnable. When you're not using it, take the batteries out. If you use a lubricant make sure it's water-soluble. Do not submerge it. Use mild soap like Dove. Do you want to buy batteries?" Only that wasn't the cadence. It was like a well-drilled rap, like the one I learned while canvassing for an environmental group in college. Like, as soon as a person is in front of you go. Say the shit. Get it out and fast. It's a spiel, learned by rote. Not what I was hoping for.

    I wanted a balloon! Or at least a sticker!

    Now I have a vibe. The Rabbit. No batteries. Damn.

    8 Comments:

    At 1:29 PM, Blogger JUnderCovers said...

    That is a bummer, very disappointing experience. I suppose that's the downside of such things becoming more "socially acceptable", it loses its intimacy and specialness.

    There's a great "adult" store in my local New England city (vague and mysterious enough) that we've been to a couple times, complete with bi-curious punkettes and fetish workshops in the back room and plenty of help and information. First time it was somewhat overwhelming to be having such a frank conversation with a stranger about buttplugs, but after that it made it comfortable.

    Anyway, congrats on the rabbit. Hope you enjoy (with batteries of course).

     
    At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sticker...

    "Kiss me, I just bought my first vibrator!"

     
    At 5:48 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    We should get Artful on that one. He'd do it!

     
    At 7:57 PM, Blogger Cha Cha said...

    I suggest you get yourself the party pack of double AA's.

    Have fun.

     
    At 8:07 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    You guys are brilliant. Always looking out for my queenly business.

     
    At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lol . . . what an experience. Another customer service high-point.

    Good for you, sweetie --- how is it?

    XO

     
    At 1:08 AM, Blogger April said...

    Now how'd you make it home with a rabbit and no batteries???

    Very bad salesgirl to let that slide by.

     
    At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on your first vibe! I got five bucks sez it won't be your last.

    The basic rule of thumb for sex shops---if it's owned by a woman it's great. If it's owned by a man it's sleazy.

    Not to bash my own gender, but it's true. If I ever open a sex shop I'll buck that trend.

    Here in New York City we're blessed with two really, really great sex shops, Good Vibrations and Babeland (formerly Toys in Babeland).

    They both have great websites and do mail order. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

    http://www.babeland.com/

    http://www.goodvibes.com/AgeConfirmation.aspx

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home