• Wednesday, October 25, 2006

    Bedside Reading.

    These days I'm regularly found curled up in bed, reading The Best American Erotica 2006. Of course one immediately has to ask What am I wearing? No no, the first question is why is it Best of 2006 when 2006 isn't over yet? But I quibble.

    This book is one of three erotic anthologies that I own. One is a collection of 5-minute reads. Another has a general 'naked' them. They're alternately tawdry, terse, and sometimes ill-constructed. So what does it say about me that the BAE2006, as pedigreed and well-written as it is, is my least favorite?

    Susie Bright, the editor, has made discerning choices. The stories are all high-quality fiction with immediately compelling (or often repelling) characters. Situations feel authentic. What completely amazes me, however, is the variety of these components. Gay construction works buggering each other 21 floors up share the volume with a strand of pearls telling their sordid tale. Like the most intimate and fiendish fucking, there are no constraints to what can happen. No matter your taste, you will find something that pushes your buttons. More likely, however, your less recognizable, more primitive buttons will get jammed too. Hard.

    I think that's happened maybe once. The readings intrigue and impress me, but not arouse, at least consistently. Often I muse, "Interesting" then turn out the light and go to sleep. I'll keep trying, though.

    4 Comments:

    At 7:54 PM, Blogger Fluffycat said...

    I love Susie Bright.

    I haven't bought one of those anthologies for a while, but I had one in the 90s that I loved and read the hell out of. Always the same couple of stories in it.

     
    At 9:15 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    I know, when you hit one, you go back to it again and again even though (especially since?) you know how it ends.

     
    At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's interesting fantasy material, though some of them do repeat. Like the old letters to Playboy Forum, that always started with "I never really thought this would ever happen to me, but . . ." or "I'm a co-ed at a small midwestern college . . ."

    Good stuff. Ever tried writing your own? Your blog postings are an excellent start, and indicate exceptional talent.

    XO

     
    At 9:14 AM, Blogger Shon Richards said...

    There was a time in the 90's where every erotica writer I met said they got their writing habit from reading the Penthouse Forums. What I found interesting was that there was always the One Story that stuck with them years later. That's how I look at Susie's books. The subject matter goes all over the place but I get the feeling that every book contains the One Story that will stick with readers.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home