• Wednesday, January 18, 2006

    You, My Beloved Audience

    Ok, finally to what I've been working out in my brain.

    Blogging has been great as relief, creative outlet, catharsis. Just to shoot stuff into the great void of the internet, or the world, is invaluable. To know that someone, anyone out there knows. Then I started getting comments, and I found an entire company of empathetic, or at least sympathetic ears, and almost entirely encouraging. This is reciprocal in its benefit: we're all out there slogging through together. I love hearing from you and responding.

    It didn't occur to me, though, that I could actually affect positive change for someone. What a surprising and pleasing thing! Thank you for passing this on to me.

    I do find, more and more, that I'm conscious of how frequently I'm posting, and if it's compelling reading. Like, when was the last time I posted something hot and do people think I'm overdue? Notice I say 'posting' and not 'writing;' the difference between the public and private activities. Posting for you vs. writing for me. This is not my favorite way to think.

    I do want this to stay interesting and mixed-up. Right now is a tough spell for me, so I may be more frequently introspective. Some of you may be bored or disappointed, but I think I may know the answer to this one: Suck It.

    ;)

    Well anyway, it's just going to be what it's going to be. Everyone out there seems cool with things so far, so this all probably irrelevant drivel.

    Oh, here's the only rule about comments: if you write something hateful directed at me or any other person commenting, I will, without pause, delete it.

    Thanks, everyone.

    6 Comments:

    At 3:46 AM, Blogger Tommy said...

    Thank you, babe! Love this blog, love your writing. This last post managed to punch me in the gut, then make me laugh ("Suck it"), then just generally make me glad you're out there. Please keep going in whatever direction you feel it taking you. Wishing that good things start to happen for you!

     
    At 7:52 AM, Blogger JUnderCovers said...

    I think that's a great attitude to take. I totally agree with your take on blogging. My non-adult blog has seemed alternately like a blessing and a curse, more the latter when I get wrapped up in worrying about being interesting and who's reading. But you've hit the nail on the head, the whole point is to lay bare the thoughts that you really want to share (whether you realize it or not). The act of doing so is cathartic in itself, and the empathy from those who identify with you is invaluable. And as you said, the extra bonus is that your thoughts can trigger thoughts for others, give them a new perspective.

    To me, that's really the heart of blogging, seeking others' perspectives on things. There are people in the world who are perfectly content with their own take on things, and have no interest in learning how others think. They can, to copy your phrase, suck it. But those of us who find ourselves drawn to blogs are interested to see the world through someone else's eyes, and the honesty that most people exercise in their blogs make this a great way to find new outlooks on things.

    So don't ever feel captive to your audience, or a slave to your previous themes. There may be those who stop by simply for a hot, dirty story, but many more come back because we care and the connections we've made are valuable to us. So be hot when you feel like it, and we'll be here for you regardless.

     
    At 11:42 AM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Glad you're out there.

     
    At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Say what you need to say, hon. We'll listen and comment.

    The ol' in-and-out gets old after a while...you just talk about what you need to talk about.

     
    At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wry,

    An ugly reality is always more interesting than a pretty fantasy. If you think we don't like your true life rants and raves, well you've got (at least one reader) all completey wrong.

    I really enjoy reading the best and worst times in your life that you choose to share with us. Just keep it real!

    Trunks up!

     
    At 3:15 PM, Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

    YOU suck it!! :0 Ha, just kidding.

    I write what I would like to read and just keep doing that. In the beginning I did worry about being entertaining, but that's a lost cause when you think about it. The whole point is to write what you want to at that moment in time. It is an evolving process. You are just getting started and in my opinion, and obviously others as well, you are doing GREAT!!

    So don't sweat it and worry about it. These kind of posts are what make blogging so great in the first place.

    Stay frosty beautiful.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home