• Tuesday, February 07, 2006

    The Neck.

    Found this passage as I was reading, exactly what I've been thinking about...

    "In his day, Oscar himself had made too many girls forget their better instincts and fine training by biting them with tender persistence at the base of their skull, just where the hairline grew in downy wisps. Girls were like kittens in this way, if you got them right at the nape of their neck they went easily limp. Then he would whisper his suggestions, all the things they minght do together, the wonderful dark explorations for which he was to be their guide. His voice traveled like a drug dripped down the spiraling canals of their ears until they had forgotten everything, until they had forgotten their own names, until they turned and offered themselves up to him, their bodies sweet and soft as marzipan."

    from Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

    5 Comments:

    At 6:35 PM, Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

    Hey! Does that work?? Man, to think of all the money in flowers and jewelry I could have saved. :)

     
    At 7:01 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Oh yeah, I'm a slave to a good neck bite.

     
    At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I loved that book. Are you enjoying it?

     
    At 8:26 AM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    I finished it last week. Loooooooved it.

     
    At 7:29 PM, Blogger Dee said...

    Mmmm. I'm a sucker (heh) for some neck biting.

    Obviously I'm going to have to read this book :)

    xx Dee

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home