• Monday, April 17, 2006

    Adrift.

    Tonight I'm filled with loneliness and grief. It keeps me awake.

    It is a terrible thing to go through my life without my mother's love. I don't know how to do it. Wherever she was, that was home. I feel untethered and adrift without her to return to. She died almost two years ago, with me at her side. She lived fully until the last three days. Then she was gone.

    "In those moments we were so close our love was right there -- so deep, so open, and alive. I take consolation in knowing that when [she] went, there was not a shred of doubt in our minds about how much we meant to each other, how much we loved each other." -- John Porcellino, King Cat

    And then there's the grief of my marriage.

    I'm lonely with this man, beyond description.

    He is the man who forget to tell me when my grandmother called to say my aunt had died.

    He is the man who, when I told about a moment of profound grief about my mother, asked what kind of bagel I was eating at the time.

    He is the man who waited more than a week to talk to me about it when I confessed that my stepfather used to ask to borrow my underpants to masturbate.

    None of this is callousness on his part. He just doesn't know how to respond, so he withdraws. He's ashamed of himself when it happens.

    But in the meantime, I'm standing here alone, exposed, and sad.

    I don't know how much longer I can bear it, or the struggle to fix it.

    9 Comments:

    At 12:19 AM, Blogger Confused Husband said...

    I'm one of those people like your husband. When Summer's mom died 2 years ago I ws having a hard time with it as well as Summer. But I couldn't talk about it. I would just withdraw inward. I never know what to say or how to react in situations like that. Or anything serious like that. I always try to lighten the mood. Which never turns out right so I just go deeper inside.
    CH

     
    At 7:28 AM, Blogger April said...

    I'm sorry, hon...I know some of this pain you are feeling, at least somethig similar to it. Losing a mother is something you never get over.

     
    At 8:41 AM, Blogger JUnderCovers said...

    I also, like CH and your husband, have been that withdrawn, silent man who doesn't know how to respond when my wife needed me. But it's a choice, and a selfish one. I've really begun to realize that because I really do care about her and my marriage, my discomfort in those moments is far less important than her need for me to support her in whatever way she needs. If your husband isn't willing to put you first, you deserve to have someone who will.

     
    At 11:11 AM, Blogger Anteros said...

    I truly have felt some of your despare, though I can not say I know how you feel. Know that you can make tomorrow the best day you've ever had.

    It's up to you...

     
    At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I lost my Dad in 2000 I was lucky enough to have repaired all the stubborn Father-Son bull that builds up in the relationship. When I said goodbye to him in the hospital with the knowledge that I may not see him again, I was at peace with it. My Sister's last conversation with him however was a terse argument in which she concluded by telling him to "go to hell". Live with that one big Sis!!!
    I do miss my Father still but realize that he is always with me smiling down on the man I have become.
    Cheer up kid and do what you have to do.

     
    At 3:52 PM, Blogger What the Chuck said...

    Hi WG,

    Feeling abandoned by the one that loves you is one of the worst feelings in the world. I can still remember Christmas when my (now-ex) wife's parents threw me out of the house because I wasn't a born-again Christian, and had called her father by his first name.

    She did not leave with me, though we stayed married then.

    I left her six months later. Some sins just can't be forgiven.

    Love,

    Chuck

     
    At 3:57 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Thanks everyone. It's good to know you're reading and responding even when I'm not getting you all hot and bothered. Which I don't mind, I'll tell you. ;)

     
    At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hear you, hon. Come move in with me and we'll get rid of these goofy men, what say you?

     
    At 3:33 PM, Blogger Mike said...

    Wow; I just stumbled across your blog and I am instantly hooked. The power of your words express deep feelings and reach a spot deep within me.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home