• Saturday, June 24, 2006

    Style of the Dead.

    We went to Ikea yesterday. It made me want to Start Over. Ditch the furniture and the books, the art, the rugs.

    Have my own space. Pick out things that I like without regard to anyone else's feelings. Since living with my husband, everything is a mix of what we both like. But you know, I just really don't want to find space for his velvet Elvis-impersonator painting.

    When my mother died, I kept a bit of her furniture, mostly family pieces. They are absolutely not my taste: Victorian antiquey things like fragile caned chairs. Slowly I've been able to sell them. It's not out of a sense of love for her anymore as it is an obligation to my entire family. They're Family Pieces. No, no one else wants them but I'm not entitled to get rid of them. I keep inheriting the Style of the Dead. It's my mother's taste, her grandmother's taste that reigns around here. Plus now the damned velvet Elvis.

    Ah, my very own space. Sounds like heaven.

    6 Comments:

    At 10:27 AM, Blogger DZER said...

    but velvet Elvis under a black light rocks!

    at least there is no huge collection of action figures!

    and I'm looking for an antique desk and dresser ... mail them to me in Guam! ;)

     
    At 11:58 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

    I feel like that when I look around my bedroom and see my man's stuff slowly trying to take over. The days of my neatly stacked belongings are gone!

     
    At 2:58 PM, Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

    WOW This blog is the best ever!! What pathos, what style, what grace and keen insight!!! Whoa. Clearly there are no others even close. I bow before the goddess.



    (How was that?)

     
    At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am becoming a fan of this blog.

     
    At 10:09 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Dzer: Isn't everything there made of palm fronds? Oh we had action figures. Sam Snead and the Abom. Snowman. They're in the attic.

    Sam: Boys are messy! Dumb boys.

    Art: How was what? I see nothing unusual. Perfectly accurate.

    Anon: You have excellent taste.

     
    At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    lol - she hit me upside the head with a roll of Saran wrap. She ambushed me in the dark, I knew something was amiss when the dogs failed to greet me at the door. She's crazy and terrifying.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home