• Monday, July 24, 2006

    State of the Union.

    I feel like a fool.

    Here is the man I live with:

    Patient, kind, sweet, conscientious. He's spent the last ten years muddling through every problem and every tragedy with me. He hasn't known what to do many times, but he's always offered a hug. My mother loved him, even took him travelling and left me at home. She told him, on her deathbed, to take care of me. He does. He's a terrific father, present and fun. He always gets up with the boy in the morning and lets me sleep another half-hour. Always. He buys me books he thinks I will like. Sometimes I still get breakfast in bed. He calls just because he's thinking of me, and says just that. Over and over he offers himself, all that he can of himself, to me.**

    And when I complain to him, he always tries to fix it. Everything. He doesn't always succeed, but he always tries. He truly wants our marriage to work. He adores me. He wants me. He wants to fix our sex life. He can't remember how to please me, but he wants the chance to risk failure. He feels as though wherever I am, that is home. I am the love of his life, he says.

    And here is how I feel:

    I cringe from his touch. I reject him physically at every turn. I don't respect him emotionally or professionally or socially. I feel as though, for many years, I haven't had an emotional peer. I've been so disappointed by his emotional remove over the past few years, that I've closed myself off to him. I don't adore him. I love him as an old friend with whom you've been through the wringer.

    There's something I don't feel. Call it passion or enthusiasm. I feel no emotional drive to make this work. I think of my son, and of what a good man I am married to, and the commitment I made, then I go to couples therapy. I try as hard as I can to refresh my thinking, to get out of our old bad habits. But there's something missing. Have I already let go?

    I condemn myself for what I don't feel. I am a fool. An idiot. What woman, in her right mind, would forfeit such a partner? Wouldn't fight tooth and nail to keep him, to salvage the marriage?

    **I know this is black and white: he is good, I am bad. It's not that simple, but what I'm writing here is the most frequent script playing in my head, despite the lack of balance.**

    13 Comments:

    At 9:37 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

    "I cringe from his touch. I reject him physically at every turn. I don't respect him emotionally or professionally or socially. I feel as though, for many years, I haven't had an emotional peer. I've been so disappointed by his emotional remove over the past few years, that I've closed myself off to him. I don't adore him. I love him as an old friend with whom you've been through the wringer

    This is me...my husband..my marriage. I hate it with every fiber of my being. And I don't know how it got to this point and I don't know how to get out of it.

     
    At 9:49 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Ah, I hear you. Can't stay, can't go.

     
    At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    DPQ- I was at a similar crossroads in my marriage when a friend recommended a "must-read": Passionate Marriage, by David Schnarch. She said it will either give you the strength to commit to your marriage, or to end it; but you won't be able to remain stuck once you've read it. In my case, I gathered the strength to end my marriage, but for other friends, a much better marriage was the result. Best of Luck. - Anon

     
    At 12:29 AM, Blogger Adam said...

    I think it is normal to feel this way. What is important is to be and act civil towards one another. Try not to be the centre of your own focus. This is life, just roll with it.

     
    At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would be interested in reading a similar synopsis on your lover.

     
    At 8:28 AM, Blogger Buyer Beware said...

    I'm sorry to read about your situation. I know it all to well, and I'm going through that some set of emotions you are.

    I can't say how it will turn out for you, or for me, for that matter, but I hope you find happiness.

     
    At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wry - I know I am a lurker for the most part, but as a consistant reader of your blog sometimes things beckon me to respond. I dated my first wife for seven years. She divorced me after eighteen months of marriage. We built a house, got two dogs, and set up a life. All to one day be called in from yardwork to the suprise revalation that she was not happy and was leaving me. No therapy, no discussion, no separation. She knew I was wrong for her and neither loved me nor wanted to remain married to me. I spent the next five years either drunk, in sexually driven relationships or depressed. I am currently happilly married but my final girlfriend who desperately wanted marriage after dating me for four years attempted suicide - unsuccessfully thank God.
    I know now in my heart after meeting my current lover/wife that my life with my first wife was indeed not living life to its fullest. I have been married for about four years now and cant wait to get home to her and my step son. Our lives are passionate and fun and funny. You can say perhaps that it is a bit early in the marriage but at the age of 43 I just cant see life any other way.
    I was indeed stuck in the first marriage. It took me meeting the right person to finally get "unstuck". You, your husband, and your son can survive a break up as long as its civil and you keep your sons mental health at the forefront. I am so glad my wife left me now. I wish she had never agreed to marry me. But then again I would never have met my wonderful wife and step son. I wouldnt have been ready for them without the pain.

     
    At 10:27 AM, Blogger Christian Husband said...

    I had a minister once who, in a sermon on exactly this sort of issue, said, "If you want it to feel like it did at the beginning, then treat your spouse like you did at the beginning. It is easier to act your way into a new way of feeling then to feel your way into a new way of acting."

    So, do you know what you would do different if you DID feel for him what you think you should? Try doing it anyway. It'll be play-acting. It'll be hard. Every fiber of your being will be screaming, "THIS IS A LIE!"

    It just might change you, though.

     
    At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a post...and the comments were good too.

    I wonder how matters look on the other side of the hill ? Unless he's totally blind, deaf and dumb, he's got to know that you're "not all there" as far as this marriage goes.

    If you cannot fix things (and it sounds like you have decided you can't)...hopefully you can lower the boom on it without making an enemy of hubby; without making him feel guilty about what he did or did not do; and, without screwing up stuff with the kiddos. It'd really be better if you could make breaking up...if it comes to that...his idea. Does that make sense ?

    In any case -- the break-up devdude's marriage is a case study in how NOT to do it...she just totally sandbagged him.

     
    At 4:17 PM, Blogger Mike said...

    These comments are as good as the post; as varied and I can relate to several of them; ironically, on several levels. Sign of an outstanding post. Thanks for it.

     
    At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am your husband. I am lost and don't know how to make things better. I feel the pain and rejection every day and still continue to try. It is pointless but I have to for my kids. You are better off to leave him soon with some small shred of dignity.

     
    At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As a follow up to my previous comment I have very little regret abou how my first wife handled our break up. Quite frankly it was the most decisive and thought out action of our entire time together. My reason for chiming in was to let Wry know that it was helpful in the end for my wife to just leave me without debate or complexity. I was oblivious to reality. She while lacking in communication (for almost nine years) did the thing that was best. It was truely irreparable looking back.
    In my current marriage (both of us divorced previously) we actually go on vacations with my wife's ex and his new family. There is no one happier than my 10 year old step son when we are all together.
    Harmony can still exist Wry it doesnt have to be an evil time.
    Either fix it or get out. Dont take years trying to do both !!!!

     
    At 12:40 PM, Blogger wordslut said...

    I ended up feeling much as you did. (I’m separated now.) After years of being kept at such an emotional distance, I distanced myself instead of continuing to try. Even when he started changing, I couldn’t get the feeling back.

    There are two sides to every story, though. I liked this post because in a way you gave us his side.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home