• Saturday, January 06, 2007

    Oh Right. This Happens.

    As I've already mentioned, the boys of the house are away on vacation.

    So what did I do? I stayed out late and crashed on a friend's couch. There was good Mexican food and a few beers, many more for him as the birthday boy. He really tied one on. I was glad to see him sitting in his favorite bar, drinking as many beers and Jager shots as he could; I knew he was having the birthday he wanted.

    Did I have a good time? Hmmm. To a point.

    When I recently started being out in the world as a woman who was separating from my husband, I became highly sensitive to my male friends touching me. I couldn't reliably discern between affection and more than. I wondered if my male friends had a different, more charged view of me. He was one of those friends but it didn't make a difference in wanting to hang out with him. I randomly speculated that I would have to have a preemtive talk with him sometime, but I never followed through. We were cool.

    Last night, however, the more he drank, the more I got the boy vibe. He was never inappropriate. He never crossed the line. There was nothing tangible to point to. However, if I could have, I would have drawn wavy pheromone stink lines coming off him. I didn't have to fend him off but I feared I would have to, and that was the problem. This is exactly the dynamic I don't want in our friendship. To avoid it, I know that I can't hang out with him when he's drinking a lot, and I may need to hold him at a slight distance.

    Rats.

    If it's an issue, I'll deal with it. But I really hope it won't be.

    **I should say that in a sober state of mind, he can be absolutely trusted. There are many real-world reasons why he will not lay a hand on me. I bet that if I talked to him about last night, he would be somewhat embarrassed that I sensed what I did.**

    4 Comments:

    At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    “Women say they have sexual thoughts too. They have no idea. It's the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. If they knew what we were really thinking, they'd never stop slapping us.” -Larry Miller

    -Mired Kiter

     
    At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not to be rude or anything but you know what they say about alcohol. TRUTH syrum. Maybe that was his true feelings about you coming out. Or maybe he was just flirting more than he would if he had not been drinking. Any way I wish you luck with your situation. Hope you get all you want/deserve this new year, have fun and be safe......

     
    At 10:48 AM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    Well you guys would know those instincts better than I.

    And to be fair, I was wearing The Pants. No one is immune from their power.

     
    At 11:08 AM, Blogger What the Chuck said...

    Hi Sugar,

    Sugardaddy's wrong about the ink thing. It doesn't take that long.

    Yes, dear, you are a wonderful, intelligent, beautiful, thoughtful person.

    But you, now, are also meat. It's just a fact. And every man knows that a recently separated/divorced woman goes through a serious fuck-fest.

    XOXO

    Chuck

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home