• Monday, April 02, 2007

    Go Girl.

    My cousin is getting into colleges these days. She was accepted at her first choice, and her long-shot, Harvard. Now she has a hell of a choice, but she's pretty excited.

    I mean, who wouldn't be?

    Well, me. As I talked longer and longer with my uncle about her situation and how thrilled she is, I felt myself sinking lower and lower into self-pity and envy. I want that back, the thrill of the future, the unmitigated happiness. I was severely jealous of a seventeen-year old tomboy. My life is hard. Hers is happy. I'm sad. She's happy. I'm confused. Hard! It's hard!

    Then I remembered: this is a girl who spent her entire teenagerdom witnessing and tending her mother's multi-year battle with terminal cancer. My cousin, before the age of 16, held her mother's hand and watched her die. This is a girl who takes honors and AP courses. She works hard. Her life has been hard.

    So who's going to begrudge her some joy? Not me. I'll gladly slump along for a while if the universe will finally give this girl her due.

    6 Comments:

    At 10:53 PM, Blogger WanderingGirl said...

    I guess "hard" comes in all shapes and sizes.

    I ran across your blog and have really enjoyed it. Hopefully your hard will get easier soon.

     
    At 2:05 AM, Blogger Darius said...

    i have come to learn that being happy for others is good for the soul.

     
    At 10:44 AM, Blogger Gadfly said...

    Beautiful

     
    At 2:46 PM, Blogger Bob said...

    you have every reason to be proud of your cousin.

    But who says the universe demands that you go without happiness in order for her to have it?

    I recall being envious when my kids were starting college. But I was happy for them, and was as excited as they were.

    I hope you can find a way to happiness yourself.

     
    At 9:11 AM, Blogger ~ Storm said...

    Yeah puts things in perspective doesn't it? I have had a lot of that lately. Damn universe, making me realize I don't have it so bad even when I am sure I do. Hang in there, things will get happier. And the weather will get better and that's certainly good for a boost.

     
    At 9:12 AM, Blogger ~ Storm said...

    and I agree with mohd, it is good for the soul and true happiness comes from true love and caring for others. I need to recall this sometimes. Ok, lately a lot of times.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home