• Saturday, December 16, 2006

    Saturday Night and I'm OK.


    I spent the day working, which I love. Lots of people out there buying wine and cheese for parties.

    But it feels as though every damn person on the planet, including my husband, is at a Christmas party tonight.

    But hey! Guess what! This is another growth opportunity to acclimate myself to a new life, where I'm not always out and having fun and even, gasp, feeling alone (but not lonely, not yet).

    Also, the hit counter jumped past 100,000 in the last day or so. To celebrate, here is a spontaneous photo.
    ___
    OK I just posted the above five minutes ago and I need to come back and edit it. Really, this whole Bravery thing feels worn thin, er, worn bald like a bad radial tire. I was at work helping what I thought was an adorable gay couple with their purchases. We talked about the stuff in the store and what would be good for the party, and I distinctly thought, 'wait, are they flirting with me?' Can they do that? Well, yes, actually. I'm not wearing a wedding ring anymore.

    And this completely unnerves me, as first mentioned in a post about a month ago about my male friends touching me and how it feels suddenly strange. Friendly? Sexual?

    I was out with some of these friends a few weeks back, and on our way home, we stopped in at an ordinary bar. My friend left me at the bar for about ten minutes, and old memories came flooding back. Oh right: Guys don't hit on me. I'd like to think it's because of my intimidating beauty, but closer to the truth would be the way I carry myself: Don't approach me. Time and again I've been told that I have a stand-offish manner with strangers and project a kind of cool judgement. It's not untrue; I usually do size people up pretty quick, and most of them are wearing the wrong shoes.

    I'm not a grinning bimbo at the bar. I don't want to meet everyone there, but should we begin to talk, I can hold a good conversation with even a four foot pile of drywall.

    The hypocritical piece of all of it is that although I often dread male attention, when I don't get it I miss it. I want to be wanted but only so far. I don't want to have to reject or make choices or take risks. I want the flirty fun and the admiration, but no obligation.

    But then again, who wants never to be touched or wanted or desired? I'd like the hot and sweaty stuff too, just not the requirements of negotiating toward or away from it. I'd like to jump into someone's bed with whom I automatically feel intimate and safe, do all the bendy stretchy spanky bits, then jump back out, toodle-oo! An impossibility.

    Oh right. Plus I'm celibate for the near future. OK. Done. There's my answer.

    10 Comments:

    At 12:24 PM, Blogger JUnderCovers said...

    First of all, fabulous rack. You know I had to say it.

    Second of all, your analysis of your approachability is horribly familiar to me. Something I learned in depth during therapy last year (but something I really knew all along) was that I put out this "attitude" of superiority, aloofness and apparently, a lack of interest in people. On one level I always wondered why people almost never approached me in bars or social situations to talk to me (man, woman, gay, straight, whatever). On another level, I sort of knew it was because I'd already made a judgment about them and decided they weren't going to be very interesting.

    Part of it is my lack of patience for small talk. I didn't allow myself to indulge in the required get-to-know chatter, even for a few minutes, in order to get to the point where you might have an interesting conversation. I also didn't recognize the importance of pointless banter with a stranger to make you both feel comfortable and safe and friendly.

    I've gotten better at it, allowed myself to appear friendly and receptive and responsive, even if a conversation is going nowhere. Yesterday I went and had lunch at a nearby restaurant bar while out shopping, all by myself, and actually made idle chit-chat with a group of older ladies out on their weekly get-trashed outing. It was pleasant.

    Now I'm not in the same boat you are, celibately looking for people to hit on me, but in some sense, it's the same thing. We all just want to feel interesting and likable, and where it goes from there is just up to you and your situation. Guess all I'm saying is I feel you, sister. Hang in there, it gets better.

    BTW, even though I don't quite know what you look like, if I happened to see someone who looked like what I think you look like sitting in a bar or shopping in Ikea, I would definitely approach you, say hi, and do my best to engage you in some fascinating, hip conversation, or at least tell you how much I like your Wellies. No pressure. :)

     
    At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can identify with you (and J). I don't want to talk to anybody unless I find them interesting. I pretty much maintain a "don't fuck with me" visage when I'm out. If I find somebody who might have a few synapses working -- I'll shoot them a wry quip of some kind. If they respond, I'll leave an opening for more discussion, if they feel like persuing a conversation.

    Uh ...

    Wrygirl ...

    *coffee sip*

    I'd like you to do me a little favor.

    Yeah ...

    *coffee sip*

    I'd like you to *pause* put the unedited version of that picture in an email and just ...

    *sip*

    Shoot that over to my email address.

    That would great. Thanks

    *sip*

    Yeah ...

    *crossing fingers*

    :o)

     
    At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PS: Congrats on the hits!

     
    At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have a nice body. Woodja like to trade erotic poetic emails? I bet your wordwork is as sizzling as your fresh flesh frame...

    protocore@hotmail.com

    Go on, take a chance...

    ;)

     
    At 10:07 PM, Blogger WryGirl said...

    J: I think you just said it better than I did! I hear you.

    Gadfly: Sorry dear, that is the unedited version; I'm crafty with my framing.

    Thanks, Anon., but no time for emails.

     
    At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You sound like my ex-girlfriend. Which means that you basically need someone to take the time to engage with you, so they can get to know the real you, instead of being all superficial. Which probably means that you're never going to have much luck at bars. Which probably means...that you're better off.

    And, BTW, it's all totally brave.

     
    At 8:32 AM, Blogger ~art said...

    you look nice; too bad you're celebate.

     
    At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful picture as usual, Wry. Seeing just the very top of your gently curving hips at the bottom is a wonderful tease, as well. Thank you.

    The flirt is fun, isn't it? I think it's intoxicating because of the desire behind it, but you have to have the energy for it . . . be in the right mindset to enjoy it . . . while it's happening.

    And I totally agree on the need to be engaged, mentally --- that's what has always attracted me to your blog, and a very few others that I've been lucky enough to find.

    XO

    Btw --- my "Word Verification" letters this time are fuxbahc, lol . . .

     
    At 7:02 PM, Blogger Lenora said...

    I think the "drop dead, come hither" thing is a lot more common for those in your situation than you might imagine. It's a whole new, foreign ballgame. That's never easy.

    And while you can't ever have exactly what you want exactly the way you want it, in the course of deciphering that new ballgame more often than not you arrive at something that works. And that's something to appreciate and look forward to.

    All the best to you.

    --Lenora

     
    At 7:23 PM, Blogger Mistify said...

    everytime i read you i feel like i have pulled out an old journal of mine from 7 years ago when i was where you are... i am routing for you to find yourself and love what you find. i know it sounds corny but hell if I can do it, anyone can.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home