• Friday, December 15, 2006

    You Didn't Ask.

    My husband and I are in separate bedrooms. We started mediation last week with an attorney we both like and think will get us through this separation moderately intact and with our asses as unviolated as possible (or, I should say, as preferred under these specifically unerotic circumstances).

    I felt itchy and funny earlier this week so I took off my wedding ring. As an experiment, not long-term. We had figured we would talk about it sometime. I never bothered to put it back on and yesterday I noticed that my husband had taken his off too, I thought in response to me. Goddammit it actually bothered me, brought up sadness and loneliness, duh, as another landmark in this uncoupling (that's a $111.97 therapy word for you all). When we finally talked last night I said 'hey I didn't take off my wedding ring as some kind of mandate about wearing our wedding rings.' And he said 'well I only just noticed you took yours off. I took mine off because it seemed time.'

    "Oh. OK. Great. I'm glad we're in such fucking accord and this is so clearly not breaking your heart. No, that's fine." says Idiotic Pride, "but I am a FUCKING CATCH! Do you mean to say..." Humph. Huff. "...that you don't want to be with me as much as I don't want to be with you?"

    I crack me up. I am an insane person.

    **Currently I am enjoying the palliative effects of ginger ale and The Smithereens.**

    4 Comments:

    At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965 . . ."

    Saw them live about 1986, in Norfolk, Va. . . . good show, and nice and loud.

    I take mine off when I make meatloaf, but only because that's the best way to mix it, and I don't want to find a piece under there, hours later. I don't think it symbolizes anything other than that . . .

    XO

     
    At 6:20 PM, Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

    well if you think you are insane now, just wait. and btw, its been almost six months now and my finger still shows signs of the ring.

     
    At 12:59 AM, Blogger DH said...

    Ahhhh...the Smithereens...haven't thought about them for a while.

    That being said...I hope these proceedings can go as smoothly as possible for you.

    Even though I'll be the one to initiate our break-up, I'm sure there will be sadness on my part too...frustration and anger even...but the bigger picture for me is how unhappy I've been for all this time.

     
    At 10:41 AM, Blogger What the Chuck said...

    Hi WG,

    You are insane, of course.

    But then again, every woman that I ever had who was a back-scarring, head-banging, chest-screaming, wild multi-orgasmic fuck-all-night session has been.

    So, welcome to the club.

    XOXOXO

    Chuck

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home