• Wednesday, September 13, 2006

    Eye of the Beholder (Yeah, Me)

    Last night was the anniversary dinner with the husband.

    It took me 45 minutes to figure out what to wear. The debate was between two outfits. I put on the first dress, jacket, shoes. I looked professional but solidly good. But not Bang Pow good. So I put on the second dress and shoes. Definitely hotter, tighter, low neck. But I felt fat. All hips.

    Now, I wasn't getting dressed up for anyone else. I was doing it because I wanted to look good for me (hey these days I'm the best lay I know).

    But I just felt fat and flabby and stretch-marked and pale.

    I don't always feels this way. Now, it seems, the stress and difficulty of life have sapped my self-confidence a bit. I tried those two dresses on for 45 minutes.

    Finally I put the first outfit back on and left the house. I felt like nothing special. As I drove, however, I talked myself up. "Look," I said, "you are still the same person, same body, same face no matter who you are getting to have dinner with. It's stupid to feel beautiful with one person and ugly with another. It's the same face." In fact, it's very pretty face. And I'm not particularly hippy or fat or flabby; I vascillate between sizes 6 and 8.

    But my perception just seems so skewed. I genuinely felt ugly yesterday. I guess what I keep trying to learn that no one else is going to make me feel beautiful if I don't feel it myself. But how to do that?

    5 Comments:

    At 5:07 PM, Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

    I went through almost the same thing yesterday morning with two suits! No matter what combination I tried I just didn't feel right. Eventually I just gave up and said "fuck it", but it happens. This feeling comes and goes more now than it used to.

     
    At 10:50 PM, Blogger woodinhand said...

    Just one person's opinion . . .

    All in your attitude (mine too) feel good and look good. Easier to find some days then others. If you find an anwser let me know and if I find it first I will let you in on the secret.

    Pause . . .

    Sometimes the other person makes a difference too. If they see you for the person you are and like you for that, it makes all else easier.

     
    At 4:01 PM, Blogger Head Like Velvet said...

    My two cents.

    It's not the outside that feels "ugly" but the inside because of the difference in feelings that you have between the two parties.

     
    At 9:42 AM, Blogger Supercock said...

    I think we all feel that way on certain days, and nothing and no-one no matter how hard they try can change that.

    Take it from me though, fat and ugly? not words I would use to describe you.

     
    At 9:47 AM, Blogger What the Chuck said...

    Hi WG,

    The only time I feel ugly is when I wear white socks with my suit.

    But my feet feel comfy, so I don't sweat it.

    Now get your ass over here, you naughty little girl. You need a spanky.

    Love,

    Chuck

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home